RN/LPN Med-Surge Boot Camp
The Delta College Registered Nurse (RN) and Licensed Practical Nurse (LPN) Medical Surgical (Med-Surg) Nursing Boot Camp is geared toward the nurse who desires a change in specialty or work environment. The goal of the “Boot Camp” is to quickly get you ready to take on a med-surg patient assignment in an acute care setting. The course includes a blended format of 20 hours of simulated lab, 60 hours of clinical practice, and approximately 40 hours of online independent study. The simulated lab time takes place in the newly renovated Delta College F Wing nursing multimedia learning lab. Nursing skills are practiced using high fidelity simulation.
Topics covered in lab:
• Physical Assessment
• Nursing Process and Care Planning
• Documentation including electronic medical records (EMR)
• Drug calculations and medication administration
• Wound Care
• Lines, Drains and Airways (LDAs)
• Genitourinary and Gastrointestinal Diversion Devices
• Blood and Blood product administration
Your clinical hours take place in an acute care setting with a preceptor in a medical surgical unit of your choosing at a leading acute care hospital. Five 12 hour shifts are completed in a three to four week span. The approximately 40 hours of independent study can be customized to meet your needs. Textbook reading and exercises, online discussion boards, and pre and post testing are available for you to choose from. You may choose all or a combination of topics that you are interested in to do further study.
This course is set up in a blended format with the following components:
- 20 hours of Simulated labs
- 60 hours clinical practice
- Independent on-line study (40 hours minimum)
- Textbook readings and exercises
- Online peer discussion boards
- Multiple tests including pre/post testing
- 25 Continuing Education Units, including 1 pain management CE
1. Documentation and/or proof of current active Michigan Registered or Practical Nurse license and proof of RN or LPN Nursing Program completion
LifeLong Learning staff will verify the license is “active” by referencing the State of Michigan online license verification system: http://www7.dleg.state.mi.us/free/ . If there is an infraction upon your license you must provide Michigan Board of Nursing approval documentation to the LifeLong Learning department prior to registration. Depending on Michigan Board of Nursing reinstatement guidelines; infractions will be handled on a case-by-case basis in determination of acceptance into the program. The RN-LPN Nurse Refresher program is both theory and clinical based. If your reinstatement guidelines order you to take the theory and clinical portions separately, you are not eligible for this program.
2. Admission to Delta College
Students must go through Admission to Delta College to access the course management software. There are several ways to apply to Delta College. For an admissions application, office hours and other important information please contact the Admissions Office.
1. You may apply online.
2. You may also apply in person within the Admissions Office and pick-up the application. Your application will be processed while you are at the college and you will receive your student number.
3. Clinical Requirements
LPN/RN Nurse Refresher Student Clinical Requirements- PDF
Please read this information carefully as the clinical requirements are mandatory for RN/LPN Nurse Refresher students and must be reviewed and be completed prior to the class start date.
As a clinical student, it is your responsibility to maintain current health records while in a health care program. For admission to all clinical agencies, students must have a copy of all enclosed documents on file in the LifeLong Learning Office. Give all completed forms to your instructor on the first day of class, students who do not have required documentation will not be allowed at the clinical site.
Personal Documentation & Health Requirements
1. Physical Examination – “Delta College Physical Exam Form” – take to your personal physician to complete and give to your instructor on the first day of class. It is suggested that you call your physician immediately as it may take 4-6 weeks to make an appointment.
3. Hepatitis B Vaccine – “Hepatitis B Acknowledgment/ Release Form”
4. Signed “Health & Wellness Waiver and Release Form”
5. Signed “Release for Training and Participation Form”
6. Documentation of Negative TB Skin Test – a positive skin test requires annual documentation by a physician or by a chest x-ray every two years.
7. Documentation of MMR (measles, mumps, rubella) immunization documentation unless you were born before 1957 – you may request a rubella titer drawn by your physician if no documentation is present.
8. Documentation of Td (tetanus) immunization documentation, current within 10 years
9. CPR Card (Red Cross -CPR for the Professional Rescuer or American Heart Association –Health Care Provider)
Current Criminal History
In accordance with Public Act 303 of 2002, section 20173; if your criminal history includes an instance that will prohibit you from participating as a student in the clinical experience, you will be dropped from the program and no refund will be given. If your background includes criminal history which would prohibit you from working in a health care facility, you are advised to drop the program prior to the first day of class.
The State of Michigan has mandated that we do LiveScan fingerprinting. We do not accept fingerprinting from other agencies. The cost to students for LiveScan is $75.00. Students must go to the Delta College Bookstore and tell them you are there to pay for fingerprinting for the Nurse Refresher Program. The Bookstore will then give you a receipt/voucher for payment. – Please make checks payable to Delta College.
You must schedule your fingerprinting with the Public Safety Office in N102. Simply present your completed Delta College LiveScan Fingerprint Request Form and your receipt/voucher (obtained from the Bookstore) to the Public Safety Officer, and then schedule your fingerprinting appointment.
10. Signed “Delta College Live Scan Fingerprint Request Form”
Delta College ID card
Prior to the 1st day of class you will need to get a Delta College student ID card, available in the Public Safety Office in the N-wing. Items to bring with you are a valid picture id along with your printed statement of registration in the Nurse Refresher program. This service is free of charge and will be used to create clinical badges.
Please complete the attached materials and bring them with you on your first day of class, if there is any missing documentation you will not be allowed on the clinical site. Any questions regarding these health forms will be addressed by your instructor at that time. If you have any additional questions, please call the Delta College LifeLong Learning Department at 989-686-9444.
Textbooks are required for this course. You may purchase your book through the Delta College Bookstore:
Online: Order your book online at www.bookstore.delta.edu
By Phone: You can place your textbook order by phone 989-686-9030
In Person: Purchase textbooks in person on main campus in the bookstore
Required texts for the RN:
1. Brunner & Suddarth's Textbook Med Surge Nursing, Smeltzer - (2 Volumes)
2. Drug Guide for Nurses, Deglin/Davis
Required texts for the LPN:
1. Textbook of Basic Nursing, Rosdahl/Kowalski
2. Drug Guide for Nurses, Deglin/Davis
Please contact the Delta College Bookstore for required editions.
Cost & Schedule
Course Number: CHR-2500
Overall Dates: 9/23/14 - 12/12/14
Lab Dates: Tuesdays; 9/23/14, 10/21/14, 11/11/14
8am - 12:30pm & 11/18/14 8am - 4:30pm
Location: Delta College Main Campus
Clinical: 60 clinical hours; 11/24/14 - 12/12/14
Location: Bay City, Saginaw, Midland
Wendy Szafranski, Instructor
Delta College, University Center, Michigan
Wendy Szafranski is a nursing instructor for the RN program at Delta College. She has over 18 years experience as a registered nurse in cardiology and critical care. She has a BSN from Michigan State University and a MSN in nursing education from Saginaw Valley State University. Wendy is certified by the American Association of Critical Care Nurses and has a sub-specialty in cardiac medical nursing. She has been teaching clinical nursing for over 14 years and has been full time faculty at Delta College since 2008.
We can help! Call us at (989) 686-9444 or send us an email at email@example.com.
LifeLong Learning Personnel has made every reasonable effort to determine that everything stated on this page was accurate at the time it was published. Programs and Testing Services offered and related fees, with other matters contained therein, are subject to change or cancellation without notice by Delta College LifeLong Learning for reasons related to student enrollment, or for any reason, at the discretion of the college. Delta College LifeLong Learning reserves the right to cancel class and test sessions.