Explore & Experience - Bay City
The Explore & Experience - Bay City camp is a memorable learning experience for your child, packed with fun-filled adventures every day! Campers experience learning adventures at multiple sites, exploring a wide variety of very interactive and educational science and art activities. Children will sail on the Tall Ship Appledore where they will be actively engaged in ship-board activities and encouraged to become scientists for the day, gathering and analyzing water samples to raising the sails and steering the ship. Campers engage in ecology and biology at the Bay City Recreation and Tobico Marsh area as they learn about birds, animal tracks & signs plus do a bit of fishing! Take a stroll to Painterly Pottery where they experience a fun introduction by the studio artist discussing and demonstrating techniques, color, and design principles to create their own works of art! Campers express themselves through musical rhythms, and explore some history at our local museum. Energizing adventures throughout the week at the Delta College Planetarium & Learning Center where campers dive even deeper into the wonders of the universe to explore and learn about astronomy and experience simulated astronaut training!
Arrival & Departure: Campers will arrive and depart daily from the Delta College Planetarium & Learning Center in downtown Bay City. Children must arrive between 7:45 and 8:00 am and be picked up promptly at 4:00 pm inside the building.
Lunch: Children must bring their own “sack lunches” Monday, Wednesday and Thursday. Lunch will be provided on Tuesday (picnic at Bay City Recreation Area). Morning and afternoon snacks will be provided every day.
Entering Grades: 2nd - 6th
Camp Fee: $229, Fee includes lunch the day at Bay City Recreation Area and daily transportation.
Course Number: CYC-1505
Dates: July 20-23, 2015
Days: Monday - Thursday
Time: 8am - 4pm
Location: Delta College Planetarium & Learning Center, Downtown Bay City
Day One: Delta College Planetarium & Learning Center, Herter Music & Painterly Pottery
- Decorating various common containers that can be used to learn some basic music rhythms
- Process of glazing and firing pottery by designing and painting a piece of pottery
- Pottery will be available for pick up at Painterly Pottery the following week
- Learning basic music rhythms and styles
Day Two: Bay City Recreation Area/Tobico Marsh
- Exploring the freshwater ecosystem of the outdoor recreation area/Tobico Marsh
- Variety of outdoor hands on explorations which will emphasize the Native American cultures
- “Splash Park” water experience (weather permitting)
- Children will need a swimsuit and towel
Day Three: Bay Co. Historical Museum & Appledore Sailing
- Participate in activities and pioneer games
- Explore the “Trails Through Time” gallery to learn about Bay City’s sesquicentennial (150th birthday) this year
- Board the Tallship Appledore to begin their exploration of the river and the ecosystem of the Saginaw Bay
- Life jackets will be provided but children must wear rubber sole tennis shoes and should also bring a lightweight jacket in case it is a bit cool.
Day Four: Delta College Planetarium & Learning Center
- Space adventure focuses on how astronauts learn and train to work in microgravity
- Explore Mars, Ceres, and Pluto and learn about remote sensing with spacecraft, robotics, and rovers
- Rocket launching
- UV detection and protection
- Peddle Trolley ride as one of several simulated astronaut exercises
- Interactive activities will be in our planetarium theater, in our computer lab, and outdoors.