Citing Sources in APA and MLA Styles
Doing the Research
Evaluating the Information
Choosing a Topic
Doing the research
- Glossary of library terms
- Locating resources - provides information on how to locate books, articles, government documents, and more.
- NAiLED - includes all of the steps needed to complete a successful research inquiry
Noodletools: a good site to learn how to do research, including a section on how to choose the best search for your purpose, performing precise searches, developing depth of research, as well as how to cite a variety of resources and some selected bibliographies.
Reading critically -- "so you've started your research, and sitting in front of you is something you've just finished reading. where do i start?"
- Steps to online searching
- Using EBSCO to find magazine and journal articles
- Using FirstSearch to find magazine and journal articles
- Using InfoTrac to find journal, magazine, and newspaper articles
Evaluating the Information
Citing Your Sources
- AMA Format (American Medical Association for Physical Therapy Class)
- APA Format - Electronic Citing Resources Updated 2009 PDF Handout
- APA Format - Print Citing Resources Updated 2009 PDF Handout
- MLA Style or Citing PRINT and ELECTRONIC Sources Updated 2009 PDF Handout
- Indiana University MLA Guide to Citing Government Documents
- MLA Style of Citing Government Documents as Presented by University of Nebraska Kearney (PDF)
- Plagiarism - The Do's and Don'ts
Citation Builders are web-based programs that allow the student to input citation information (author, title, etc.) into a form so that the program can place the information into the correct bibliographic format. Be careful, as these programs do NOT do everything for you. For example, capitalization and punctuation are aspects of citations that the style books cover with more accuracy.
Chicago Style Manual - Based on The Chicago Manual of Style, 16th edition, this guide provides examples in Humanities as well as Scientific styles for citing books; book chapters; encyclopedia, journal, magazine and newspaper articles; online databases; and Internet resources.
How to Prepare an Annotated Bibliography
The Purdue Online Writing Lab is an EXCELLENT site to find help for writing papers. The MLA and APA Style Guides are very helpful. Purdue Online Writing Lab offers an email address where you can ask a question.
Turabian Style Guide - Based on A Manual for Writers of Term Papers, Theses, and Dissertations, 7th edition, this guide provides examples in "Humanities" as well as "Scientific" styles for citing books; encyclopedia, journal, magazine, and newspaper articles; and online databases.
Delta College Library, A-110
1961 Delta Road
University Center, MI 48710