President's Speaker Series
The President's Speaker Series gives students and community members the opportunity to hear nationally- and internationally-known speakers discuss a variety of important issues in the world today. This series is designed to broaden knowledge learned within the walls of a classroom, and to build an appreciation for the diversity of ways of being and thought, and for civic engagement.
The President’s Speaker Series was founded in 1999 under the direction of former Delta College President Donald Carlyon and Communication professor Dr. Nancy Vader-McCormick. The Series has been generously supported by Delta College President Dr. Jean Goodnow, the Delta College Foundation, and the Peter and Barbara Boyse Endowment.
Abraham Lincoln: A Life
Monday, October 20 at 7pm
Delta College Lecture Theater G160 (see map)
The President’s Speaker Series is proud to host one of the country's leading authorities on President Abraham Lincoln and the Civil War era, Dr. Michael Burlingame.
Dr. Michael Burlingame is the Distinguished Chair in Lincoln Studies at the University of Illinois at Springfield. He taught history for much of his academic career at Connecticut College in New London. He is the author of many books on President Lincoln and the Civil war, including "Abraham Lincoln: A Life," which won the 2010 prize for the finest scholarly work in English on Abraham Lincoln or the American Civil War solider.
James McPherson, a historian, wrote in the New York Review of Books, "Michael Burlingame knows more about Abraham Lincoln than any other living person." Dr. Burlingame currently lives in Springfield, Illinois, where he is working on several Lincoln projects. His books will be available for purchase and author signing at the President's Speaker Series event.
Learn more about Burlingame at his website.
This event is free and open to students and community members. For more information about the event, please contact Barb Handley-Miller at 989-686-9198.
The President’s Speaker Series has hosted prominent speakers who challenge all of us to think deeply and act responsibly:
- 2013-2014 Stephen Prothero, Dr. Janna Levin
- 2012-2013 Peter Beinart and Noah Goldberg
- 2011-2012 Erin Gruwell, Susan Pinker
- 2010-2011 Richard Heinzl, Robert Kenner
- 2009-2010 Charles Wheelan
- 2008-2009 Paul Glastris and Stephen Hayes, Tzeporah Berman
- 2007-2008 Breaking Ice Diversity Group, John Torreano
- 2006-2007 Marion Nestle, Kevin Sites
- 2005-2006 Roland Fryer, Thomas Perls
- 2004-2005 Eric Alterman and Monica Crowley, Sonia Monzano
- 2003-2004 Herman Boone
- 2002-2003 Carl Bernstein, Naomi Tutu
- 2001-2002 David McAuley, Betty Williams
- 2001-2001 Alvin Pouissant, Terry Roberts
- 1999-2001 Bertice Berry, Ray Suarez
The President’s Speaker Series Committee plans themes, speakers and coordinates events.
- Barb Handley-Miller, Chair
- Nancy Vader-McCormick
- Kirk Wolf
- David Baskind
- Kimberly Klein
- Linda Holoman
- Angela Sinclair
- Heidi Helgren
- Tom Caylor