Tornado / Adverse Weather
- Department of Public Safety 9111
- If Public Safety cannot be reached 911
A Tornado Watch means that tornadoes are likely to develop.
A Tornado Warning means that a tornado actually has been sighted somewhere in the general area.
If a Tornado Warning is activated or a tornado is sighted approaching campus:
- Proceed immediately to the interior hallway on the lowest floor or basement, unless there are boilers or electrical switchgear areas housed in the basement.
- If time does not permit, get into the safest area of your classroom or office (the inside wall farthest from the doors or windows).
- Avoid windows, auditoriums, gymnasiums or other structures with free-span roofs and boiler or electrical switchgear areas.
- Take shelter underneath your desk or any heavy furniture available.
- Assume a curled position to protect your head and eyes. Cover your head with seat cushions or other material at hand.
- All persons should remain in the shelter areas until advised the danger has passed.
- In open country, move away from the tornado at a right angle. If there is no time to escape, lie flat in the nearest depression, such as a ditch or ravine. Get out of an automobile and seek shelter in a ditch or ravine.
- Listen to your radio for the latest information and instructions. Do not tie up the telephone lines. Call the Department of Public Safety ONLY to report a tornado or other weather related emergency.
NOTE: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES ARE MEMBERS OF THE COLLEGE COMMUNITY TO EVACUATE OR SEEK SHELTER IN THE COURTYARD AREA DURING EITHER A FIRE OR WEATHER RELATED EMERGENCY.