Delta College logoDelta College: Serving Bay, Midland, and Saginaw counties since 1961

Registrar's Office

Residency Policy and Guidelines

Educational costs at Delta College are shared by the students, the tax payers in the Delta College District and the State of Michigan.  Property taxes paid by residents of the Delta College District supplement student tuition and state aid for In-District Status students; therefore, the tuition charged legal residents of the Delta College District are the lowest and students classified as Out-of-State are charged the highest tuition.  A student’s residency classification is established when admitted to Delta College and may only be changed as detailed under item four (4).

  1. Residency Classifications: A person will pay course tuition and fees according to one of the following classifications of legal residence:
    • In-District Status: Legal resident of Bay, Midland or Saginaw counties. (This is the Delta College District)
    • Out-of-District Status: Legal resident of Michigan, but not of the above three counties.
    • Out-of-State Status: International students (including Au Pares) and all others not classified within those above

      A legal resident is one whose permanent, primary residence is where the student intends to return whenever absent from college. A dormitory is not considered a permanent primary residence.
  2. In-District Criteria: For tuition purposes, an In-District student is an American citizen or permanent resident who can provide legal proof of residence within Bay, Midland or Saginaw counties for at least three consecutive months immediately preceding the first day of the semester in which the person plans to enroll. Exceptions considered are:

    • The legal residence of a student under age 18 is that of the parent or legal guardian regardless of where the student may have been living for the previous three months.
    • The student marries an individual who qualifies as an In-District resident of the Delta College District.
    • The person is an employee of a business or industrial firm within the Delta College District, AND the employer, by written agreement, agrees to pay directly to the College all tuition and/or fees of the sponsored student for employer-approved classes.  If the employer is not directly paying the College for the student’s tuition/fees bill, the student will be assessed the appropriate out-of-district or out-of-state tuition rate.
    • In-District students whose families/spouses move out of the Delta College District during the time they are enrolled may retain their residency status as long as they maintain continuous enrollment.  Student must complete Petition to Remain In-District application each semester.
    • A permanent alien who has filed the Declaration of Intention to become a U. S. citizen and who can provide proof of Delta College District residency for the previous three consecutive months may petition for In-District status.
  3. Proof of In-District Residence: All students are subject to a check of their residency status at registration.  Students furnishing false information will be subject to disciplinary action.  The following examples are types of documents which are considered in determining proof of In-District residency:

    • **A current/valid Michigan driver’s license or Michigan Secretary of State I.D. card or valid Michigan motor vehicle registration in student’s name indicating a permanent address within Bay, Midland or Saginaw counties.
    • **A property tax receipt from Bay, Midland or Saginaw counties.
    • **A current voter registration card indicating an In-District address.
    • **Other legal documents such as court-issued guardianship papers, etc.
      **Must indicate proof of residence for at least three consecutive months immediately prior to the first day of the semester in which the student plans to enroll.
  4. Change of Residency Status: While attending Delta College, students may petition the Registrar to change their residency classification.  Residency Status Change Forms are available from the Registrar’s Office and must be submitted, with proof of In-District residence (see item 3) by the end of the refund period for the term status change is being petitioned. Students must meet the criteria stated in item 2. Guest students from other colleges, and international students on a student, working or visitor’s visa should not expect to have their residency status changed while attending Delta College, as the definition of legal residence (see item 1) has not been met.
  5. TUITION ADJUSTMENT:  Any adjustments made in tuition and fees due to a change in residency status shall not be retroactive nor changed past the refund period for the term being petitioned.
    • Military Personnel & Covered Individuals:  Any individual using educational assistance under either Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill® – Active Duty Program), Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill®), of title 38, United States Code, and/or the Marine Gunnery Sergeant John David Fry Scholarship (38 U.S.C. § 3311(b)(9)) who lives in the State of Michigan while attending Delta College (regardless of his/her formal state of residence) will receive in-state tuition rates.

      a.  Any individual using Veteran Educational Benefits possessing a Department of Veteran Affairs Certificate of Eligibility will receive Delta College In-District Residency Classification.

If you have questions regarding residency, please contact the Registrar's Office at (989) 686-9305 or


Delta College Seal

1961 Delta Road, University Center MI 48710 | 989-686-9000 |
Delta College is an Equal Opportunity Organization, committed to excellence through inclusiveness and diversity.
Copyright ©