Delta College is offering a new Fast Start training program in Solar Manufacturing to meet the needs of solar employers locating in the Great Lakes Bay Region. We have worked very closely with regional employers to develop this program. It is anticipated that new employers locating in the region will need 500 employees in the near future and this program will provide the training for you to qualify for these jobs. Starting pay rates (depending on employer) are $12-14.35 per hour plus benefits.
Solar manufacturing/assemblers work with: assembly operations including; arts selection, alignment and assembly according to specifications; packaging operations set-up including manual break-down of pallets of material arranging/stacking/repackaging materials, manually putting labels, stickers or booklets on packaged materials, and cleaning recycled packaging components before re-use; packaging operations including manually handling water-soluble products, placing them into containers and then into shipping cartons; and packaging warehouses logistics including operating a fork lift truck, moving materials within/to and from warehouses, manually stacking, repackaging, stretch wrapping and moving boxes and pallets.
Employers are looking for individuals that meet the following criteria
(you must meet all of these criteria for employment):
- A high school diploma or GED®.
- Completion of the Delta College Fast Start Solar Manufacturing Program is preferred.
- 1 year of previous work experience in mechanical parts assembly and troubleshooting is required; while 5 or more years is preferred.
- Must be able to work all shifts on a rotating basis, including weekends: 7am - 3pm; 3pm - 11pm; and 11pm - 7am.
- Previous experience working in collaborative team environment is preferred.
- Must have previous experience working with Microsoft Office applications.
- Must be detail-oriented and able to follow specific instructions.
- Must have previous successful experience following safety protocol.
- Must be able to meet physical requirements of job including, but not limited to: the ability to lift 50 pounds, stand for long period of time, bend, push/pull, and climb stairs and ladders rated for 300 lbs, with or without reasonable accommodation. Physical capabilities test will be conducted by an outside vendor.
- Must successfully complete a background check, a drug screen and a physical capabilities test.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
Preferred Candidate Qualifications
There will be 24 seats available in each class. Program slots will be offered to the applicants who best meet the preferred candidate qualifications listed below.
1. ACT WorkKeys® Technical Skills Assessments
The following three assessments are required:
- Applied Mathematics - Minimum Level 4 (level 5 preferred).
- Reading for Information - Minimum Level 4 (level 5 preferred).
- Locating Information - Minimum Level 4.
- Teamwork - Minimum Level 4.
- You are required to provide a copy of your WorkKeys® scores with your application.
WorkKeys® can be taken at Michigan Works! (At no cost if you are a client/eligible for services) or through Delta College LifeLong Learning Testing Services for a fee of $80. Please call 989-686-9444 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your WorkKeys at Delta College.
2. Work Experience
Minimum of 1 year of work experience in mechanical parts assembly and troubleshooting with five or more years preferred. A strong track record of safety is required.
- Provide a copy of your resume showing how you meet this criteria.
- Provide a copy of your DD214 (if veteran).
3. Educational Experience
High school diploma or GED® is required and an associate degree is preferred in a technical field or advanced science degree with prior plant or development laboratory experience from an accredited college. Please provide a copy of your highest education achieved (high school diploma, GED®, associate degree, other).
- Provide a copy of your transcripts from other colleges (student copy is acceptable).
- Provide a copy of your high school transcript or GED®.
- Provide information on military training (if not on DD214).
- Provide a copy of your journeyman’s card if applicable.
- Have you attended classes at Delta College? If so, please provide either your Student Number or the last four digits of your Social Security number. We will obtain your Delta College transcript.
Financial support may be available to those who qualify through Michigan Works! Pell grants and federal student loans are not available for this program. We are in the process of submitting this program for the GI Bill (not currently available for this program).
Solar Manufacturing Fast Start 9 Schedule
TBD. We are working with our partners to determine an employment need prior to beginning Fast Start 9.
TBD. If you would like to apply to the Solar 9 class you can complete and submit the application for class 8. We will accept applications, and notify applicants when a class has been scheduled.
Fill out the Solar Manufacturing 8 Application (PDF) and submit to:
Delta College Room H-111
1961 Delta Rd.