Scholarship Instructions and Frequently Asked Questions
Please read the following information. It will assist you in your effort to receive a scholarship.
All students must have a Delta College student ID number to apply for scholarships. To log into the AcademicWorks Scholarship Application, use your MyDelta username and password.
Note to All High School Students Graduating in 2015
1. You will be considered for a scholarship only if we receive your transcript.
You must mail in your most recent high school transcript to the address shown below (with a postmark date no later than February 7, 2014). Or, you may email your most recent transcript to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
1961 Delta Road
University Center, MI 48710
2. You must have a Delta College student ID number to apply for scholarships.
Suggestions When Answering Essay Questions
It’s highly recommended that you type your answers in Microsoft Word, then copy and paste your answers into the online application. This way you will know how many words are in each answer because you are required to write a minimum of 150 words per question. You will be rated lower if you do not write at least 150 words; however, we ask that you don't exceed 250 words.
Delta College's Writing Center Café can assist you with your essay writing. It is located in the back of the Library Learning Information Center (LLIC), near A125. The office hours are Monday - Thursday from 9am – 6pm and Friday 9am – 2pm. No appointments are needed. Students are assisted on a first come, first serve basis. You may contact them at 989-686-9086, or from Midland/Auburn, call toll free at (989) 495-4000, ext. 9086.
Special Instructions for Honors Scholarships:
- Must have applied and been accepted into the Honors Program.
- The honors scholarships have one additional essay question that must be answered. However, to be considered for all other scholarships, you must answer two essay questions. We encourage you to apply for all scholarships by answering all the questions.
- Choose one of the honors’ essay topics and write a short essay of up to 400 words. The essay may be written in Microsoft Word, then copied and pasted into the application.
- Honors students must upload two recommendation letters as directed on the application.
- Upload a list your community and volunteer activities.
- Upload a list of your honors and awards you’ve received in high school and/or college. If you have not received any awards/honors, please state that in an attachment.
- Upload any substantial academic projects or papers that reflect your intellectual learning and academic effort.
- Semi-Finalists will be interviewed.
- These scholarships will range from $500 per semester (for Fall and Winter) to $1,000 per semester if you are a full-time student. Full-time is 12 credits or more.
Special Instructions for the Business and Information Technology Scholarships:
- Semi-Finalists will be interviewed.
- This scholarship is worth $1,250 per semester ($2,500) if you are a full-time student. Full-time is 12 credits or more.
If You Receive a Scholarship
You must accept the scholarship by the deadline given to you and send a thank you letter to: Delta College, Foundation Office, 1961 Delta Road, University Center, MI by April 7, 2015.
Communications from the Foundation Office
It is important that you add email@example.com to your list of trusted domains. Information relating to your Delta College 2014 - 2015 scholarship application will be sent to you from this email. The email address you included in your application is the email address we will use to communicate with you regarding the status of your scholarship.
Other Ways to Receive Financial Aid
We encourage you to explore other government financial aid options as well as these scholarship opportunities. You may start the financial aid process by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list the Delta College school code (002251) on the application. In order to qualify for certain scholarships, you must first complete FAFSA. The FAFSA application can be found online at www.fafsa.ed.gov.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Does a student have to have a certain grade point average?
Some scholarships have no grade point average requirement, but most of them require at least a 2.0 GPA and some require a 3.0 GPA. The scholarship software (AcademicWorks) will determine what scholarships a student qualifies for based on the answers given on the application.
Does a student have to complete FAFSA to get a scholarship?
Some scholarships require that the FAFSA be completed, but many do not require it.
How do you decide if a student gets a scholarship?
You must score high enough on your essay answers. Your answers will be rated by two or three faculty, staff, or community volunteers. Your answers to the two essay questions will be rated on:
- Spelling and grammar
- Whether you met the 150 word requirement
How much money does a student get if they receive a scholarship?
- $500 if enrolled in 12 credits or more
- $375 if enrolled in 9-11 credits
- $250 if enrolled in 6-8 credits
- No scholarship if enrolled in 1-5 credits
Note: Some scholarships are worth more money, and you will see that noted on the application.
How will I know if I received a scholarship or not?
You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org if you received a scholarship. The email will be sent on March 16, 2015. If you do not receive a scholarship, you will be notified of that on April 28, 2014.
How does a student actually receive the scholarship money?
The scholarship money will go on the student’s account at Delta. Go to MyDelta, check the financial aid award letter, and it will list the scholarship name and the amount received.
If you have questions about these instructions, please contact the Foundation Office at (989) 686-9226. From Midland/Auburn, call toll free at (989) 495-4000, ext. 9224.