IMPORTANT SCHOLARSHIP INFORMATION
Please read the following information. It will assist you in your effort to receive a scholarship.
All students must have a Delta College Student ID number to apply for scholarships. To apply to Delta College, visit the Admissions Office page.
Once you have your student ID number, then log into the AcademicWorks Scholarship Application by using your MyDelta username and password.
You must be either a high school graduate or have earned a GED. Dual-enrolled students are not eligible for these scholarships.
Note to All High School Students Graduating in 2016
- You must have a Delta College Student ID number to apply for scholarships. To apply to Delta College, visit the Admissions Office page (as all scholarship applicants do).
- You must upload your high school transcript to your online application by the February 22, 2017 deadline.
If you graduated from high school in 2015 or 2016, and have not earned any college credits(therefore, you have no grade point average at Delta College), then we need your high school transcript uploaded to your application by February 22, 2017.
If You Receive a Scholarship
You must accept the scholarship by the deadline given to you in the email you will receive. This email will go to your Delta College email address. You must upload a thank you letter to your online application by Wednesday, June 14, 2017.
Communications from the Foundation Office
It is important that you add email@example.com to your list of trusted domains. Information relating to your Delta College scholarship application will be sent to you from this email. Your Delta College email address is the email address we will use to communicate with you regarding the status of your scholarship.
Suggestions When Answering Essay Questions
It’s highly recommended that you type your answers in Microsoft Word, then copy and paste your answers into the online application. This way you can run spell check. However, you should still read your answers aloud to make sure they are accurate because spell check does not catch all errors.
Delta College's WRIT Center can assist you with your essay writing. It is located in the back of the Library Learning Information Center (LLIC), near A-125. The office hours are Monday - Thursday from 9 am – 6 pm and Friday 9 am – 3 pm. No appointments are needed. Students are assisted on a first come, first serve basis. You may contact them at (989) 686-9086, or from Midland/Auburn, call toll free at (989) 495-4000, ext. 9086; WRIT Center
Special Instructions for Honors Scholarships
- Must have applied and been accepted into the Honors Program.
- The honors scholarships have one additional essay question that must be answered. However, to be considered for all other scholarships, you must answer the two essay questions on the general application. We encourage you to apply for all scholarships by answering all the questions.
- Choose one of the honors’ essay topics and write a short essay of up to 400 words. The essay may be written in Microsoft Word, then copied and pasted into the application.
- Honors students must upload two recommendation letters as directed on the application.
- Upload a list your community and volunteer activities.
- Upload a list of your honors and awards you’ve received in high school and/or college. If you have not received any awards/honors, please state that in an attachment.
- Upload any substantial academic projects or papers that reflect your intellectual learning and academic effort.
- Semi-Finalists will be interviewed.
- These scholarships will range from $600 per semester to $1,000 per semester (for Fall and Winter) if you are a full-time student. Full-time is 12 credits or more.
Special Instructions for the Business and Information Technology Scholarships
- Semi-Finalists will be interviewed.
- You must answer the two essay questions that are on the "General Application," but you do not have to answer extra essay questions (as some scholarships require).
- This scholarship is worth $1,250 per semester ($2,500) if you are a full-time student. Full-time is 12 credits or more.
Information About Possible Dream Scholarships
- Students who received this scholarship can receive it for two consecutive years.
- This scholarship is for $2,000 per year for two years, if a student is enrolled full-time (12 credits or more).
- Students must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) to be considered for this scholarship.
Information About Study Abroad Scholarships
Due to the extensive planning for travel abroad scholarships, the application process begins earlier than all the other scholarship timelines. The application process will open again in March 2017 for the 2017-2018 academic year. This scholarship will be advertised on the Financial Aid website and on Delta's home website. Please check back at that time if you are interested in these scholarships. If you have any questions about Study Abroad Scholarships, please call Christine Yaroch at (989) 686-9447.
Other Ways to Receive Financial Aid
We encourage you to explore other government financial aid options as well as these scholarship opportunities. You may start the financial aid process by completing the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and list the Delta College school code (002251) on the application. In order to qualify for certain scholarships, you must first complete FAFSA. The FAFSA application can be found online.
Other Frequently Asked Questions
Does a student have to achieve a certain grade point average?
Some scholarships have no grade point average requirement, but most of them require at least a 2.0 GPA and some require a 3.0 GPA. The scholarship software AcademicWorks will determine what scholarships a student qualifies for based on the answers given on the application.
Does a student have to complete FAFSA to get a scholarship?
Some scholarships require that the FAFSA be completed, but many do not require it.
How do you decide if a student gets a scholarship?
You must score high enough on your essay answers. Your answers will be rated by two or three faculty, staff, or community volunteers. Your answers to the two essay questions will be rated on:
2) Spelling and grammar
3) Whether you met the 150-word requirement
How much money does a student get if they receive a scholarship?
- $1,000 total ($500 for Fall and $500 for Winter)
- The $500 per semester is based on credits enrolled, as follows:
o $500 if enrolled in 12 credits or more
o $375 if enrolled in 9-11 credits
o $250 if enrolled in 6-8 credits
o No scholarship if enrolled in 1-5 credits
Note: Some scholarships are worth more money, and you will see that noted on the application.
How will I know if I received a scholarship or not?
You will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org if you received a scholarship. The first round of scholarship awards will be emailed on April 17, 2017. The second round of scholarship awards will be sent on May 2, 2017. If you do not receive a scholarship, you will be notified on May 2, 2017 via email.
How does a student actually receive the scholarship money?
The scholarship money will go on the student’s account at Delta. Go to MyDelta, check the financial award letter, and it will list the scholarship name and the amount received.
To begin the application process, log into the AcademicWorks Scholarship Application, using your MyDelta username and password.
If you have questions about these instructions, please contact the Foundation Office at 989-686-9226. From Midland/Auburn, call toll free at 989-495-4000, ext. 9226.