Prerequisite Waiver Process and Philosophy
The Delta College Mathematics Division believes that having the prerequisite knowledge for a course and proper placement is a very important first step toward success in a mathematics course. If, after taking or retaking COMPASS, you still feel that you have been misplaced, you will need to obtain a signed prerequisite waiver from the Mathematics Division Office.
Prerequisite waivers*: To waive the mandatory placement score prerequisites of any mathematics class below the MTH 120 level to enter a math class above student performed COMPASS placement, a prerequisite waiver form must be completed and signed by the Mathematics Division Office.
We do not believe that appropriate placement can always be determined by a single test score or piece of information. Therefore, we offer the opportunity for consultation with the Mathematics Division Office regarding placement where a more complete profile of your mathematical abilities can be examined. The following indicators may be considered to determine the most appropriate placement:
- Score and demonstrated skill on a division pretest for your desired course
- High school mathematics experience and college transfer credits
- ACT mathematics and reading scores
- Review of less-quantifiable measures such as motivation, other personal obligations, educational, career and personal goals, or others you feel are relevant
The Mathematics Division will require evidence of demonstrated prerequisite knowledge before a prerequisite waiver is signed. Contact the Math Office, G-211, at 686.9180 or firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule your consultation.
- Bring all relevant paperwork and scores from previous math and testing experiences.
- Prepare to spend thirty to forty minutes on the required division pretest.
- Do not wait until the last day of registration to obtain your consultation.
* Prerequisite waivers needed for program requirements must be obtained from the division in which the program is housed.