Student Leadership Academy
Develop your leadership skills and learn how to become a change agent by joining the Delta College Student Leadership Academy (SLA).
Through club participation, community service, leadership workshops and other engagement activities, student members increase their overall awareness of leadership, and learn how to use their voice and learn how to be involved. As part of SLA, participants work in small groups to develop two projects or initiatives on campus that affects students and helps build community.
Demonstrate integrity, character and respect
- Consistently exhibit a high standard of integrity and respect
- Resolve conflict in an open and direct manner
- Communicate effectively
Achieve outstanding results
- Set clear goals and priorities
- Deliver on commitments
- Make timely, high-quality decisions
Inspire and develop people
- Actively develop leadership qualities with peers, teams/organization, and ones self
- Inspire a high level of commitment and performance
- Create a culture of respect where diversity and inclusiveness are valued
- Collaborate effectively across Delta boundaries.
Lead positive change
- Respecting one another regardless of our differences is a core value of the Student Leadership Academy. All members of the leadership model are expected to respect each other’s ideas and opinions, and are encouraged to hold each other accountable.
- Each member will respect facilitators, faculty, staff and everyone at Delta College.
How to join
You must complete and submit the Student Student Leadership Academy application, a list of two references and a 200–300 word essay detailing your leadership and extra-curricular experiences and community service.
Submit all application materials to the Student & Civic Engagement office (A003). Selected students will be notified with more details about the program in future communications.
Qualified student applicants to the Delta College Student Leadership Academy must meet the following criteria:
- Enrolled in at least three credit hours at Delta College
- Be registered for the upcoming fall and winter semesters
- Be willing to participate in Delta College’s Programming Board
- Be willing to commit to a year-long program which includes:
- Kick-off & Leadership retreat
- Monthly “Leadership Friday” meetings:
- Fall 2021 Fridays (September 10 and 24, October 8 and 22, November 5 and 19, December 3)
- Winter 2022 Fridays (January 7 and 21, February 4 and 18, March 4 and 18, and April 1 and 15)
- All “Leadership Friday” sessions will be from 12pm – 2pm, locations to be announced
- Participation in campus and community leadership initiatives and service opportunities